| Welcome to Bangalore !|
|Places to Visit|
|1) BANGALORE PALACE|
|Anyone who sees the Bangalore Palace is bound to fall in love with it. It was built by Chamaraja Wodeyar, Maharaja of Mysore in 1887. At that time it costed about Rs One lakh to construct it. The land cost Rs 10 lakh. During a visit to England, Chamaraja Wodeyar was inspired by the Windsor
Castle in London, and along similar lines he built this palace in Tudor style. |
|Spread over an area of about 430 acres, the Palace is famous for its elegantly carved woodwork. It is right in the heart of the city. With a built-up area of around 45,000 sq. ft., this 120 year old monument is a popular tourist attraction. It is surrounded by a garden all around, almost giving it a fairytale setting. |
Location: In Palace Guttahalli.
| 2) VIDHANA SOUDHA|
|The magnificent Vidhana Soudha is the largest legislature-cum-secretariat building in the country. Situated in the heart of the city, the state secretariat building is essentially Indian in style. The floral motifs of the stone-carvings are Dravidian in style and are drawn entirely from the temple-craft of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.|
|During an interview, the Chief Minister of the erstwhile Mysore State (1951 to 1956), Kengal Hanumanthaiah, explained the reasoning behind the architectural styles of the monument. A Russian cultural delegation was visiting Bangalore and K Hanumanthaiah took them around to show the city. Every now and then they queried, "Have you no architecture of your own? They are all European buildings". Stung, K Hanumanthaiah, vowed to create a monument so magnificent that it would showcase the best of South India`s indigenous architectural styles. Total floor area: 5,50,505 square feet. Length: 700 feet. Width: 350 feet. Height from floor level to top of central dome: 150 feet. The project begun in 1952 was completed in 1956.|
Location: In Cubbon Park .
| 3) HIGH COURT|
|Attara Kacheri literally means "eighteen offices" or departments. In 1864, Commissioner Bowring conceived and prepared the plans for setting up a full-fledged secretariat building, almost a century before the Vidhana Soudha was even thought of. It was earlier known as the Old Public Offices, housing the general revenue and secretariat of the State government. |
|It now has the offices of the High Court of Karnataka. The Attara Kacheri building was completed in 1868 at a cost of
Rs 4.5 lakh. The work on the building was executed by Rao Bahadur Arcot Narayanaswamy Mudaliar. It is an impressive two-storied building of stone and brick, red in colour and has been built in the Greco-Roman style.|
Location: In Cubbon Park .
| 4) ISKCON|
|ISKCON Bangalore Sri Sri Radha Krishna Chandra Temple. January 07, 2009 A major festival of south India, Vaikuntha Ekadashi is observed with all solemnity in the temples of Lord Vishnu. The Vaikuntha Dwara (gate) of all Vishnu temples is opened on this day. Thousands of devotees pass through this gate to get special mercy of Lord Srinivasa Govinda. |
|Lord Srinivasa Govinda receives a gorgeous bathing ceremony and special alankara on this day with sparkling jewels.
This festival commemorates the day Sri Nammalwar, one of the great devotees in the line of Sri Ramanuja entered the spiritual abode. Lord Srinivasa was waiting at the door to receive His great devotee. It was on this day, during the churning of the milk ocean; nectar emerged out of the ocean and was distributed to the gods. |
Location: In Mahalakshmi Layout .
| 5) MUSEUM|
|The State Archeological Museum is similar to the Attara Kacheri with the same red colour and architectural style. The original block was designed and built by Colonel Sankey, in 1876. Several wings have been added on in the later years, all of which remarkably conform to the parent style. The original collection in the museum belonged to B. L. Rice of the Mysore Gazetteer. |
|Location: In Cubbon Park.
| 6) TIPU`S FORT PALACE|
|TIPU`S FORT In the busy, crowded City Market area lies the remnants of Tipu`s Fort. Originally this fort was built by Chikkadeva Raya and was later extended, dimantled and rebuilt by Haider Ali and Tipu Sultan. What remains now is parts of the fort wall with a tablet marking the place where Cornwallis had breached it in 1791. In the courtyard is the Ganesha Temple that is popularly thought to represent Tipu Sultan`s religious tolerance. |
|The fort is noted for its beautifully carved arches on the gate walls. Within the fort are the remains of Tipu`s Palace. Haider Ali started the construction which was completed by Tipu Sultan in 1791. It was used as a summer retreat. It was known as the "Abode of Peace". Currently the settings evoke memories of a two storied ornate wooden structure with pillars, arches and balconies.|
Location: In the City Market area.
| 7) Lalbagh|
|The Lalbagh Botanical Garden, Bangalore is of royal origin and was started initially as a private garden in an area of 40 acres by Hyder Ali, one of the most famous rulers of old Mysore in 1760. Lalbagh is currently under the aegis of the Directorate of Horticulture, Government of Karnataka. The Directorate is housed amidst the splendid environs of the botanical garden.|
|The Glass House is the most famous. In the necklace of Bangalore`s gardens, Lalbagh is a pendant and in the centre of this pendant is the glass house in the form of a diamond.Initially designed in Mughal style, on the model of an extensive garden at Sira in Tumkur near Bangalore, this garden was further developed by Hyder Ali`s son Tipu Sultan and subsequently by the British and Indian doyens of horticulture by extension of area and addition of a number of plant species. Of them, Major Waugh, Dr. Wallich, William Munroe, Sir Mark Cubbon, Dr. Cleghorn, William New, A. Blck, John Cameron, Krumbeigal, Rao Bahadur H.C. Javaraya, K. Nanjappa and Dr. M.H. Marigowda, as the Superintendents of the garden, have made noteworthy contributions to the development of Lalbagh. Lalbagh was given the status of a Government Botanical Garden in 1856, and since then, it has been an internationally renowned centre for scientific study of plants and botanical artwork and also conservation of plants. Formal and informal styles dominate the garden in perfect harmony, which is a testimony to the beauty of nature. Today, the garden is a lush green paradise with an area of 240 acres in the heart of the city.|
Location: In 4 km from the State Legislature(High Court).
| 8) Bannergatta National Park|
|Bannerghatta National Park is about 22 km from Bangalore in Karnataka. This zoological garden is spread over area of about 25000 acres. It consists of dense forest and scrub land becoming home for wild animals like bison, leopard, wild boar as well as being an important corridor for elephants migrating between the eastern and western ghats. |
|One of the main attractions here are the lion and tiger safari. Other attractions here are a butterfly park, crocodile farm, serpentarium. In addition, a portion of the park is used as a sanctuary for wild rescued animals.|
Safari : The famous Safari has Carnivore Section and Herbivore section. In the Safari rides, visitors are taken around a mini bus through the enclosed and protected area of the aninmals to roam around freely. The Herbivores section comprises of few animals like deers, bears and a few monkeys etc. White Tigers, Bengal Tigers make up for the Tiger Safari, Lions Safari and Bear Safari in the carnivores` section. Though the entire national park stretches across 104.27 sq km, only a small portion in the north has been carved out for tourism.
Location: 22kms from South of Bangalore on the Anekal Road.